Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)
Author

OK, I’ve had a look at your Royals site and can see you are getting confused by the fact this thread refers to TWO separate new test modules.

The first post (post #5474) explains how to install and configure the first – a Research Tasks module (resource_todo)

But you have installed the second – Recent Changes version (resource_changes).

So what you need to do is:
    1 – Change the url used in extra menus (this is what I meant by ” just an obvious change in the url for extra-menu.”)
    from “module.php?mod=resource_todo&mod_action=show”
    to “module.php?mod=resource_changes&mod_action=show”

2 – You also need to enable the module ‘Recent changes’ on Administration > Modules > Module administration (thats bullet point 2 on earlier post #5474)

3 – You have added TWO todo menu items in extra menus, so delete one.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Okay, enabled both. Changed one to Recent Changes, one ToDo. modified URL accordingly. Still TODo takes me to home page.

Recent changes takes me to a new page. Want to try both.

-----
    [updated: 06 Aug 2021]
    MacOS: 10.15.7  (Catalina)
    Safari   14.0.3;  Firefox 9.0.2
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

Alter-Drukarsh connections... 3.3.9 <private>
    The Royals 3.3.9<royals.rbcsolutions.ca
    >
    The Gerrer Rebbes 3.3.9 <royals.rbcsolutions.ca/index.php?ged=rebbes>

You havn’t enabled the research tasks one yet on Modules administration

Nigel

Recent changes module starting range in field is “November 1, 2015” but when I use drop down to change, it’s set to 31 Dec 0.

End date field November 21, 2015 but drop down set to 31 December 1920.

I like having both options. If I’m away from editing for awhile, would use the range so I don’t need to remember how many days. If I only want yesterday, then I could pick 1 day.

Execution November 1 to 21 is saying 30 days instead of 21. The results list is good. I don’t use full browser width but display is readable without messy wrapping (old reports do that). Not quite sure what sort is used for “Record” but again, might be too soon for that.

Contrary to what you say about printing, it should be within program, not browser to just print content, not the page itself, and maybe margins (not sure) and probably pagination.

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Research tasks page:
    NICE start!! Would move Username to last column. Again, the Record column content wraps nicely. Spacing between records good. My preference would be 01 Nov 2015 instead of November 1, 2015. Same for Recent changes.
    Maybe, like Recent changes, add DOB-DOD dates so if there’s more than one person with same name (lots of my Royals have that), can differentiate between them.
    Wouldn’t mind knowing how many items I have in total, or line count (both modules).

Overall, what I’ve hoped for since PGV!!! (I recall raising the issue of having this.)

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Another observation: Research tasks dates are manually set and therefore do not reflect date of actual change, necessarily. So I’m not always sure if I look at my June 18, 2015 task, is it really that old or did I forget to manually update it when I modified info after that date? Know it’s not totally within scope of this page, but if date is being shown (as it was within widget or home page), then maybe it can be addressed too.

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Recent changes module starting range in field is “November 1, 2015” but when I use drop down to change, it’s set to 31 Dec 0.

End date field November 21, 2015 but drop down set to 31 December 1920.

Yes, that area still needs to be fixed before release.

Not quite sure what sort is used for “Record” but again, might be too soon for that.

It’s sorted by the stored “sort name” which is a surname, given name combination (e.g. SMITH, John sorted as “S”). So generally it is by surname (the male surname for the family records – BROWN, John and JONES, Mary sorted as “B”). This has always been the case for “recent changes” displays whether block, widget, or reports.

Contrary to what you say about printing, it should be within program, not browser to just print content, not the page itself, and maybe margins (not sure) and probably pagination.

I partly agree. CSS rules will ensure it is only the content that is printed (css @media print tags), already used in many places in kiwitrees. These will remove header / footer areas etc from the printed output. But pagination, margins etc are controlled by the browser and / or your printer, paper size etc…. Trying to do those in the programme are the main reason existing reports are such a mess. It’s simply not practical / realistic to try for content as variable as ours.

Nigel

Would move Username to last column.

Yes, probably a good idea (although all existing versions are the same as this one).

My preference would be 01 Nov 2015 instead of November 1, 2015. Same for Recent changes.

Dates, as throughout kiwitrees are controlled by you language settings.

Maybe, like Recent changes, add DOB-DOD dates so if there’s more than one person with same name (lots of my Royals have that), can differentiate between them.

Yes, I can probably do that.

Wouldn’t mind knowing how many items I have in total, or line count (both modules).

It’s already there 🙂 Look at the (near) top of the table. It says something like “Showing 1 to 20 of 652” So you have 652 changes. 961 on your todo list.

Nigel

Another observation: Research tasks dates are manually set and therefore do not reflect date of actual change, necessarily. So I’m not always sure if I look at my June 18, 2015 task, is it really that old or did I forget to manually update it when I modified info after that date? Know it’s not totally within scope of this page, but if date is being shown (as it was within widget or home page), then maybe it can be addressed too.

That date is whatever you set it to be when you create the task. It’s outside my control. Some people use it as a “when I need to do this by” date; others as a “this is when I loaded this todo item” date. I guess we could add a second date that is auto-filled as “date created”, but that wouldn’t be backwards-compatible, so might cause problems for some users. So I’m inclined to leave well alone.

Nigel

Nigel:

I believe in keeping things simple and not fixing if not broken. That is especially true of your current effort to provide alternative choices to the user and replacement of the report system. I applaud those efforts but hope they are considered an interim methodology. Please don’t let them become the end to end all. Your published “long term wish list” of producing a simple data list of user defined records that the user could then format as desired should always be kept in mind.

On that note, I disagree with adding the DOB, moving the user name, and messing with the date in the resource_todo module. Also, the print function might be nice to give a clean printed listing but is it really necessary. The members in the families I track also have many names in common but adding a DOB would just add an unnecessary distraction and not a clarification. If there is any question about who the individual is, simply click on the name and look. Why move the user name; the only purpose that I can see is served by the current ability to sort the columns. The date listing has already been addressed.

Roy

Apache 2.4.27  PHP 7.19 MariaDB 10.2.8

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘Research Task module help’ is closed to new replies.