• This topic has prefixes assigned
Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
Author

Hi Richard. Thanks for looking.

I certainly wouldn’t claim to understand the algorithm’s you have used in this module (though I’m extremely grateful for your work).

But I think in this particular example the issue is that the relationship is not as straightforward as it might seem. Jamie has described it in fairly simple (English) terms. But in fact, if you look at the image attached to post #9518 above you will see that the link is not only 11 generations back, but it is via two different families (same father, two different mothers. In other words, it is only a “half-relationship”.

My test was done with a copy of Jamies GEDCOM file. Perhaps she would be willing to share it with you also?

My assumption is therefore that this is the cause of the difficulty. But I am not able to understand the algorithm well enough to explain how this is actually caused.

But if you can make a better suggestion I would be pleased to use it.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Richard: Just use the login Nigel is using at my page

Regards,
    Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of a user customized version of kiwitrees (contains 3 family trees)

Jamie – good news! Richard has found the cause of the problem. It was an error I had made when converting his original (webtrees) code to use in kiwitrees. I had broken the important /necessary relationship caching feature ๐Ÿ™

Attached is a replacement for the file kiwitrees/includes/functions/functions.php which fixes the problem.

My results for your complex relationship is now:
    Execution time: 1.593 seconds. Database queries: 644. Privacy checks: 290. Memory usage: 18,432 KB

Some improvement!!!!!

Nigel

Oh nice. GJ
    As you said it is complexed and I do not understand how you can keep on doing this! Personally I would have lost the control about this system ages ago. Huge respect from me <3
    Thank you!

Regards,
    Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of a user customized version of kiwitrees (contains 3 family trees)

On this occasion, the thanks belong only to Richard. It is his code (originally), and he found and fixed it for kiwitrees, even though not a kiwitrees user.

Nigel

My respect and thanks still goes to you …. but

Thank you Richard and I appreciate this cooperation ๐Ÿ™‚

Regards,
    Jamie Jaconelli

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Relationship calculator – slow for long / complex relationships’ is closed to new replies.