Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
Author

A search result included <http://www.gershon-lehrer.be/FmT/webtrees/index.php?ctype=gedcom&ged=Family%20Tree&gt;, a webtrees site. (No idea what version). I noticed buttons have been used for default chart, default indi and request new user.

Is this (new user) hard to do? Kind of like it. The default chart isn’t of interest, default indi either as I have 5 main families. The link takes you to the account creation page with custom wording added. I’m eventually wanting custom account creation page that includes the info I require instead of just a text box. The obvious catch is the link to user database & emails generation that kiwiTrees does.

-----
    [updated: 06 Aug 2021]
    MacOS: 10.15.7  (Catalina)
    Safari   14.0.3;  Firefox 9.0.2
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

Alter-Drukarsh connections... 3.3.9 <private>
    The Royals 3.3.9<royals.rbcsolutions.ca
    >
    The Gerrer Rebbes 3.3.9 <royals.rbcsolutions.ca/index.php?ged=rebbes>

1 – the version is webtrees 1.5.3 (should have been upgraded a long time ago!). You can always see the version by pointing to / hovering your mouse over the webtrees logo in the footer. Same for kiwitrees.

2 – There is nothing custom about that page apart from the “Click here to visit my Blog” link in the header. The rest is entirely standard for the ‘xenea’ theme.What you are looking at is the “Home page” block. No different there to the way it has been since PGV days. IMPORTANT – that is the view of the Home page when not-logged in – don’t confuse it with either the same page when you are logged in, or My Page. Both display different links, for obvious reasons.

EDIT – just remembered – you also have to have “Allow visitors to request account registration” set to ‘yes’ [In admin -> Site configuration] to see a “Request for new account” link.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

I’m eventually wanting custom account creation page that includes the info I require instead of just a text box. The obvious catch is the link to user database & emails generation that kiwitrees does.

Unless you want to completely re-write the kiwitrees account creation code, the only way to achieve that is with a custom link that lets new users send those details to you in an email so you can create them as a new user in kiwitrees. There is an example of that here: http://www.zionrootsgenealogy.org/

You also need somewhere to store that additional information. Although I understand that ZionRoots do that just by keeping a hard copy of the emails!

Nigel

My home page (no login) has text for “request new user account” and “Request new password”. How would he/she have substituted the button then go to the login page that has additional text than default “All fields must be completed.”

I have request set to YES.

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Perhaps you removed the “Home page” block and substituted the “Login block”? Try putting the “Home page” block back.

Nigel

Unless you want to completely re-write the kiwitrees account creation code, the only way to achieve that is with a custom link that lets new users send those details to you in an email so you can create them as a new user in kiwitrees. There is an example of that here: http://www.zionrootsgenealogy.org/

You also need somewhere to store that additional information. Although I understand that ZionRoots do that just by keeping a hard copy of the emails!

I figured that was the case hence not getting too far. I have the pages I want drafted and figured if you send the request via kiwiTrees, I could reply with the html form(s) required. I had 2 user requests that I couldn’t figure out and back/forth emails didn’t seem to provide the info needed to confirm their identity. (Gee, they want access to my info yet seem to think they shouldn’t provide theirs.) As I said, long range indeed.

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Perhaps you removed the “Home page” block and substituted the “Login block”? Try putting the “Home page” block back.

Duh, all this time I’ve used LOGIN only. How do I add similar text to the one on that site?

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Duh, all this time I’ve used LOGIN only. How do I add similar text to the one on that site?

Have you tried the block? That is the standard wording.

Nigel

Mine doesn’t have additional text. That one seems added (red text).

mine my default

theirs their default

-----
    PHP 7.4.5 FastCGI

>

Another thought – that wording is controlled by the setting Admin ->Site configuration -> Login > “Show acceptable use agreement on «Request new user account» page” = ‘yes’.

Changing it would require a ‘custom translation’ file entry.

Nigel
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘New account button’ is closed to new replies.