Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
Author

Well, but that’s the problem. Running into parallel unconected place hierarchies. E.g. “Eisenach” Set up more than a dozen entries?

Maybe I could handle that if i had only three stages like “Lambeth, Middlesex, England” but even today the official german “place hierarchy” is:
    Deutschland, Bundesland, Regierungsbezirk, Kreis, Gemeindeverband, Gemeinde.

And more worse: A “Gemeinde” might be pretty small e.g. “Pfullingen” or huge e.g. “Berlin”. Berlin is a Bundesland AND a Gemeinde defining the same area. So I would have to split that up again, difining urban districts and boroughs:

Deutschland, Bundesland, Regierungsbezirk, Kreis, Gemeindeverband, Gemeinde, Verwaltungsbezirk, Ortsteil.

Transforming german historical place “ladders” into current place names? May have odd results: A bunch of german ancestors is not born in Germany anymore, but in France, Switzerland, Poland or even Russia. If I keep the historical names I have to set up different german place trees, e.g. starting with different top levels like “Deutsches Reich”, “Bundesrepublik Deutschland”, “Deutsche Demokratische Republik” etc. That’s a lot of work and my ancestors are splitted up again.

And how to handle governmental <-> churchly place names? Somestimes I know the parish name, somestimes the village name. But the same name identifies quite different areas.

The only somehow working german place db I’ve found is: http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index

How to put that in GM module?

Maybe i was unclear: I don’t want to define all (well-known) places using “that old code”. Just specific locations like buildings, tombstones, “disappeared” villages etc. And being able to export those coordinates in a GEDCOM.

I still disagree with most of those issues, but they largely come down to personal preferences. Anything CAN be done within the module if you want to.

And being able to export those coordinates in a GEDCOM

However, this final point is completely valid. Its the same issue some people raise against modules like “Stories”. Not of concern to me, but I do understand how it might matter to some people.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Updated file /includes/functions/functions_print.php attached. This works for now, but it seems Google may yet change the required structure again as they are still developing their β€œnew” Google Map application.

Google Maps drives me crazy. πŸ™„ The fix is somehow working, but testing for a few days indicates some left over issues:

GM tries to “find” the passed place name, offering strange and confusing results.
    GM doesn’t center on the accurate coordinates, only somehow nearby.
    No pin displayed. (If you slide the map, you loose orientation.)

So I created my first kiwitrees hack. 😎 As far as I can see it seems to work.

@kiwi
    If you are interested how should I offer this modification to you?
    Write down the changed line here?
    Post the changed file here?
    Pull request on GitHub?

If you are interested how should I offer this modification to you?

Yes, certainly interested. Either zip and attach the revised file here or email it to me.

As you are the only person I know that uses this feature, if it works for you it can go in the code πŸ™‚

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

As you are the only person I know that uses this feature …

Dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah
    Ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah
    Oh-oh-oh-oh-wah
    Only the lonely

Only the lonely (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)
    Know the way I feel tonight (ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah)
    Only the lonely (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)
    Know this feelin aint right (dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah)

πŸ˜† changed line 939, includes/functions/functions_print.php

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘lat-lon not working in Google maps’ is closed to new replies.