Tags:

Author
Topic

I’m searching ancestry.ca (keepers of Archives for Ontario births, marriages, deaths) and see that sometimes the name change for the man changes after marriage, not because the entire family changed name.

When registration records have both parties with the previous name. I’ve only ever made entry on the male’s record of his birth name and changed name. His wife I gave the changed name to.

Husband:
1 NAME Bob /SMITH/ (changed after marriage)
1 NAME Bob /SMITHSONIAN/ (birth name)

Wife:
1 NAME Mary /BROWN/ (her maiden name)
2 _MARNM Mary /SMITH/ (the changed name only)

Should I be showing, and if so, suggest entry, the previous name on her record which is on registration and possibly other documents?

-----
[updated: 21 Oct 2020]
MacOS: 10.15.7  (Catalina)
Safari  14.0;  Firefox 81.0
PHP 7.4 FastCGI

Alter-Drukarsh connections... 3.3.8 <private>
The Royals 3.3.8<royals.rbcsolutions.ca
>
The Gerrer Rebbes 3.3.8 <royals.rbcsolutions.ca/index.php?ged=rebbes>

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author
Replies

The question “Should I be showing…” doesn’t really have an answer. It’s entirely up to you. Personally I try to add every piece information I find.

and if so, suggest entry

A name is a name, whatever it’s origin. All names** are added in the same way. Use the “Edit” main menu item and “Add new name”.

IMHO, it is also important to describe the reason for a different name. This can be done using any or all of the following:

1. By using the “type” sub-tag.
    2. By adding a short text note.
    3. By adding a Source citation

In addition, it is a good idea to ensure multiple names (of whatever “type”) are stored in the GEDCOM data in the correct or preferred order. This is because it will always be the first one listed that becomes the “preferred” name used on charts and reports. At present this can only be changed with “Edit raw GEDCOM data”.

**with the exception of “married names” (_MARNM tag) which is an unofficial GEDCOM tag, used by kiwitrees and many other software. It is not the “correct” solution, but most people prefer it. The correct way is as a separate name (1 NAME) and the type “married name”.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Comments noted. Will use 2 TYPE to the changed name, as you’ve said previously I can add the text aside from those provided. I do keep the names in order for display let alone export.

1 NAME Mary /BROWN/ (her maiden name)
    2 _MARNM Mary /SMITH/
    2 TYPE name changed after marriage <implies the name directly below was original name, not previous marriage>
    2 _MARNM Mary /SMITHSONIAN/
    2 _MARNM Mary /WHITE/ <if she was to re-marry>

Now I’ve got to figure out how her mother’s name is different than other sources I have 🙁 Fingers crossed her birth record is at Archives but after cutoff for ancestry.ca)

-----
    PHP 7.4 FastCGI

>

Again, it is entirely personal preference, but I think adding 2 TYPE to a name that already uses the _MARNM tag is superfluous. Just using the _MARNM tag already changes the display title used for the name to “Married name:

I just use:
    1 NAME Mary /BROWN/
    2 _MARNM Mary /SMITH/
    2 _MARNM Mary /SMITHSONIAN/
    2 _MARNM Mary /WHITE/

And ensure the three _MARNM are in the correct order of marriage date (with earliest at the top).

Where you need TYPE is if you always use a separate 1 NAME record for each name, (which is the correct GEDCOM solution) like:

1 NAME Mary /BROWN/
    1 NAME Mary /SMITH/
    2 TYPE married name
    1 NAME Mary /SMITHSONIAN/
    2 TYPE married name
    1 NAME Mary /WHITE/
    2 TYPE married name

(Note: even here I prefer not to add “2 TYPE birth name” to the first name, as I regard that as the default, so no need to spell it out. But again, personal preference)

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Again, it is entirely personal preference, but I think adding 2 TYPE to a name that already uses the _MARNM tag is superfluous. Just using the _MARNM tag already changes the display title used for the name to “Married name: ”

Understand however, I don’t want to think she’s married 3 times and I’m missing a husband. I just tried it and it works for me. The husband’s record shows two 1 NAME tags, with one 2 TYPE birth name used.

Personal preference but at least you’ve made me see I’ve missed that entry. Doing lots of editing anyway, will be add to my list.

-----
    PHP 7.4 FastCGI

>

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.