• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kiwikiwi.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author

While looking for the new user info in Logs, I noticed how many entries there were (+5,000) in one and several hundred in others. For each I purged all to end of May. Maybe as part of clear cache, be able to clear logs with a date setting (if necessary). This would be change logs and “admin logs” both.

-----
    [updated: 11 Jun 2021]
    MacOS: 10.15.7  (Catalina)
    Safari   14.0.3;  Firefox 89.0
    PHP 7.4 FastCGI

Alter-Drukarsh connections... 3.3.8 <private>
    The Royals 3.3.8<royals.rbcsolutions.ca
    >
    The Gerrer Rebbes 3.3.8 <royals.rbcsolutions.ca/index.php?ged=rebbes>

I prefer the existing “Delete” button on the Logs page. This allows you to be more selective (or not, as you wish) about which logs you keep or delete.

See attached.

But good on you for at least bothering to tidy up! Unfortunately ANY delete option employed by the software doesn’t always work as some MySQL configurations do not actually release the space even when you delete rows of data without a complete refresh of the database from the back end (by your web host). That is something I have no control over.

(ps – the forum category “General kiwitrees.net issues” is as the name (should) suggest for discussing things related to THIS site – https://www.kiwitrees.net) not the kiwitrees software itself. Is there a better descriptor I can give it? I am trying to keep this place simple – just one category for 99% of inquiries: “Support for kiwitrees”. I see no need for complicated loads of forum categories (or rules and requirements for that matter). I shall be removing the “Simpl_add-ons support” category as soon as a couple more become part of the standard code.)

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Please elaborate on what I can do at my web host end, if anything, that’ll lighten the load of my site.

PS: Didn’t know your classification for the forums. Thought it was one for actual help, general for questions and suggestions. No problem, will use the help in future.

-----
    PHP 7.4 FastCGI

>

Please elaborate on what I can do at my web host end, if anything, that’ll lighten the load of my site.

No, sorry I can’t. That would require me to know things about your web hosts servers and preferred ways of operating that I can’t possibly be aware of.

Please also read: https://kiwitrees.net/forums/topic/support-limitations/

Nigel

No problem. I thought by deleting the logs, like cache, would reduce my size for loading site. Much like reduce using multiple-MB images lightens the load (I don’t use that size).

-----
    PHP 7.4 FastCGI

>

No problem. I thought by deleting the logs, like cache, would reduce my size for loading site.

Yes, that is correct, and you should do it, But that is not doing it “at your web host end”. In many or maybe even most (I don’t know for sure) cases that is sufficient. But in some cases it will not. Only your web host can help in that case. But try it – delete all your logs and see if it results in a reduction in the size of your database.

But if you mean by “loading site” the speed at which pages load, then no, the size of the log files will not matter, except when you load the logs page.

Nigel
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Clear logs/Clear change logs’ is closed to new replies.