Authorpab
Last activity5 years, 9 months ago
StatusClosed
Replies13
Voices3
Participantspab, kiwi, jacoline
Actions
Tags

illegitimate, upload, URL, gettext, immigration, clipboard, colors, 3.3.5, .mo, tags, Gallery, server, related, access level, source, 3.0.0 widgets, IE11, clippings cart, family, default individual, new, 3.3.6, UID, php 5.6, photo, zend, stories, polish, census assistant, configure, dropbox. token, I18N, drag, Default record, special character, lists individuals families, edit menu, defacto, CHR, block, 3.0.0, simpl_pages, SUBM, latest version, BAPM, GEDCOM errors, login failure, survey, cousin tab, edit interface, tree, multiple marriages, button, language, administration pages, inactive, help, errors, DIV, sanity

Kiwitrees on Twitter

Topic:   Favourites  

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

What are your thoughts on the Favourites module? I stopped using this a few years ago but am trying it for “pioneers” – notable people who were migrants. As it is now it could take a lot of column space. Could it be tabularised?

Penguins Are  Boss

https://bootesgowland.kiwitrees.net

Happy to be hosted by kiwitrees.net

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

Hmm, not sure exactly what “tabularised” would look like. Presumably you mean to remove much of the content the current “person-box” format displays, especially the image.

Overall, I dislike the favourites module. I certainly don’t like it’s use on the Home page (mainly for design / visitor attraction reasons). Its use on “My page” becomes a moot point when combined with my eventual plan to remove that page completely. (see https://kiwitrees.net/kiwitrees-road-map/ )

I do however use favourites, but not the display module. I find the menu listing of them perfectly satisfactory. I just (rarely) add the display module temporarily when I need to remove a favourite as that is the only way that can be done.

A couple of other points to consider:

1. The menu list of favourites serves two purposes. It contains both “GEDCOM favourites” (those normally displayed on the “Home page” for all to see) AND the (if registered & logged in) user’s personal “User favourites” that would be displayed in the block on their “My page”. To quote a famous actor “Not many people know that….”.
      2. Favourites can be any record type (individuals, families, sources, repositories, media items, or notes) and each can include comments. All these might make “tabularising” problematic I suspect.

For your personal “use case”, I wonder whether links in an HTML block would be easier? You also get to choose what the names link to in that case. I have a client with a list like that but of family names, each linked to the “Branches” list page.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      Participant

568 posts

Alot uses the favourites – me incl at main page. But I find it annoying to have it in menubar. But I have it in a blog as <div> So I think alot will be very sad if you remove the module completely. Many have no idea to make it as html code or something similar as another choice if you remove the module.

But if you have to remove it – I suggest to update a help file to blogs and take the favourit list as a suggestion for a blog! So users can copy/paste/edit the code for their own need!

Regards,
      Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of:
      www.jaconelli.dk/webtrees, www.jaconelli.dk/history, www.jaconelli.dk/johnsen (familien-johnsen.dk)

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

There are no plans to remove either of the Favourites modules. This is Paul’s discussion about a possible alternative way of displaying the data, nothing more.

Nigel
      pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

Thank you for saying that, Nigel, I never meant to suggest that the favourites modules be removed! No, not at all. What I think I was really wanting was to somehow present a LIST of people in my tree that emigrated from UK to USA, AUS, CAN, (or any migration). I was only trying favourites as one way of doing this and seeing what others in the forum thought.
      Paul.

Penguins Are  Boss

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

a LIST of people in my tree that emigrated from UK to USA, AUS, CAN, (or any migration).

If you have well defined criteria like that, and they are represented by the use of GEDCOM tags such as IMMI or EMIG then a custom module would be pretty simple to create.

I’d be happy to help if you want to have a go.

Nigel
      pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

Yes, all my migrants have EMIG tags. I usually find them by doing an advanced search and adding the extra tag in the search. This will do for now … but having said that I would be interested in knowing how to build a module. I have ‘traditional’ programming experience in C & Basic and have ‘played’ with php but don’t know the ‘x’trees conventions (where x=web or x=kiwi).

Penguins Are  Boss

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

Those skills would certainly help, though I find that html and css often take the most time. You are right that an understanding of the classes and functions that the kiwitrees code already has helps enormously though. But there are so many its not practical even for me to remember all of them, so I always use something existing as a start point, then look for other pages that do some part of whatever I want to achieve.

But as I said, your specific requirement makes this a fairly simple module, mainly because it needs no complex configurations or settings. The attached might not be exactly what you had in mind, but it should get you well along the way. I’ve added extra commenting to help point out what the various parts do. Just unzip the folder into /modules_v3/ like any other module, then enable it. Then you can add it to the Home page, or your My page, or like any bock as part of an HTML block (just use the short-code #callBlock:emigration_block# for that).

Nigel
      Attachments:
      kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

Paul

Did this emigration block work for you? I’m considering adding it permanently, but with a configuration option to select from a range of alternate tags, perhaps MILI, IMIG, OCCU, and any others that might make interesting lists.

Nigel
      pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

Yes and no. I tried it and immediately found I need scroll bars!! The list is 100+
      The other issue was errors when I had missing birth information so age at emigration bombed out.
      I can find the same info through the Advanced Search. If I settle on the kiwitrees or designer theme with the three little blocks it would not be a block I’d choose. (Like ‘On this Day’ which I used to love but now find the Calendar menu option more informative).

Penguins Are  Boss

pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

PS – if it were coded into the core LISTS menu item rather than a block it might be used more.

Penguins Are  Boss

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

Yes, that would often be the case. But are scroll bars a problem?

I will look at the Lists option.

Nigel
      pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

No, scrollbars are not a problem … I meant I couldn’t work out how to add the code myself!

Penguins Are  Boss

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1861 posts

They should have appeared automatically, so I’ll need to look into why they didn’t.
      I’ll make sure that missing dates are allowed for as well.

Nigel
    Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • The topic ‘Favourites’ is closed to new replies.