2nd July 2017 at 11:13 am #8856
Clearly it’s not a major concern but is it a bug?
That depends on your definition of a “bug”. The current design of messages is pretty much unchanged since PGV days. I can’t confirm, but believe this “odd” duplication has always been there. So by my definition it is “designed” rather than a bug.
But that doesn’t make it right of course, and I agree with your question.
Messaging overall is something I am working on for (hopefully) the next release. So the duplication will disappear as part of that process.
For information there are a few issues behind the messaging sub-system re-write:
- The current “php_mail” library has issues with latest PHP versions, so needs to be replaced.
- The code for messaging is extremely convoluted so needs to be simplified.
- Part of simplification will be to remove the internal storage of messages (sorry Ron, but the response to this subject a few months ago showed you are the only kiwitrees site actively using it 🙁 ) Existing stored messages will not however be deleted. Up to you what you do with them.
- I anticipate removing ALL the messaging type options and just defaulting to “kiwitrees sends messages without storage”.
- There will be a clear option for each user to opt out of receiving emails (except system generated ones like new passwords etc). (i.e. the current “Preferred contact method” = “none” setting
- The currently broken html mail option will be fixed by changing the library used. (https://kiwitrees.net/forums/topic/sending-mail-using-html/)
My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info