Author

So I have different options.
    1 Make a mix of preferred names and nicknames and make a Faq to explain how the display is done.
    2 Make a note of the roepnaam
    3 use the AKA field
    What would you suggest?

I think that 1 is the right solution; 2 can help; you should avoid using APK as much as you posibly can; an option 4 (below) might also help; plus a small code change I have just made. Further details:

1 Make a mix of preferred names and nicknames and make a Faq to explain how the display is done.
    In any dictionary I look at “roepnam” definitely translates as “nickname”. The GEDCOM definition (which we need to rely on totally) is:

A descriptive or familiar name that is used instead of, or in addition to, one’s proper name.

The difference between a nickname and a preferred name is that a nickname is different from any of the given names, whereas a preferred name is the same as at least one of them.

There is a small issue when there is more than one preferred name, as in the case of your son Dirk Jan Willem. You can add the asterix to both names:

Dirk Jan* Willem* /Meijberg/

but at present the display looks “odd”:
    Dirk Jan Willem Meijberg (note: space between names not under-lined)

However, I have just added a little piece of code that will connect consecutive preferred names into one:
    Dirk Jan Willem Meijberg

When writing an FAQ you might need to separate instructions for USING the two different options from READING and UNDERSTANDING the display of them.

2 Make a note of the roepnaam
    Notes are often useful to explain anything like this. But use it WITH 1, not instead of.

3 use the AKA field
    As mentioned in my first reply _AKA and _AKAN (both valid, and originating from different software) are not officially part of GEDCOM. Therefore I recommend you do NOT use them unless there is absolutely no alternative. Any data recorded outside the GEDCOM specification stands a high risk of being ignored, broken, or deleted by software that doesn’t recognise it or has it’s own alternative.

4. Use multiple names
    The is an important option we have not previously mentioned. You can add as many names to an individual as you want. (Edit menu, “Add name”)
    The first name listed in the data is defined as the primary name, and is the one generally used for display on charts etc.
    Each name has the option to include a TYPE tag which explains exactly its purpose. Normally the primary name is the “birth name”. Some people include that as a TYPE too, but most view that as being “obvious and unnecessary”, just using TYPE for all other types. The standard list of name TYPEs in the GEDCOM specification are:
    aka = also known as, alias, etc. (e.g. a professional name or a stage name)
    birth = name given on birth certificate.
    immigrant = name assumed at the time of immigration.
    maiden = maiden name, name before first marriage.
    married = name was persons previous married name

To these kiwitrees adds:
    adopted = name given to a child by its adoptive parents
    change = name chosen by an individual, to replace their existing name (whether legal or otherwise)
    religious = name taken when entering a religion or a religious order

So, in summary, my suggestion is to use your option 1 whenever possible (with notes and / or FAQ if required), and then use 4 for rare additional cases.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
    1 user thanked author for this post.