Author

No need to look, I have the same issue. Its easy to fix, something I’ve been plodding through for months (or longer ๐Ÿ™ )

In order to be able to contract / expand the system must recognise a “title” for the note, which by default is the first line. If there is only one line there is nothing to contract.

In GEDCOM terms a “line” is defined by the use of “CONT” and / or “CONC” sub-tags. You / we have some notes that do not use these, so they appear to the system as being on a single line.
    Examples:
    The system sees this a a ‘single line’ note (can not be contracted)

1 NOTE There was a child born to Ernest and Annie Waghorn in 1921 (William Frank Waghorn) who died in 1926. At the time of this photo he would have been 2 years old. We therefore believe he was the “scratched out” child in the back row (centre).

This is the multi-line version (will be contracted to the first line)

1 NOTE There was a child born to Ernest and Annie Waghorn in 1921
    2 CONT (William Frank Waghorn) who died in 1926. At the time of this photo he would have been 2 years old.
    2 CONT We therefore believe he was the “scratched out” child in the back row (centre).

To correct / change existing notes edit each one and put a carriage-return in where you want the first line to end, and any more you think will improve presentation. Only the first one is necessary though.

Just for information, I am also looking at a way to add an ellipsis (“…”) at the end of the first line when contracted, as a “read more” type indicator. The challenge is to ensure it works in a way that is OK for all languages (esp. RTR ones) and is removed when the note is expanded.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info